Until recently, Ben and I both considered ourselves 'accidental shopkeepers', that was until it dawned on us we've been at it for thirteen years and happily going from strength to strength, which is a rare thing indeed in the world of shopkeeping. For those of you who don't know, Ben and I both have separate careers and pursuits, Ben in architectural and interior decoration and mine in decorative accessory and product design and manufacture. The shop has always made up the third corner of our triangle, each discipline feeding nicely into the next. Our literal 'shop window to the world' as Ben has always put it.
Looking back at everything we've achieved over the last while, we've stopped thinking of ourselves doing anything 'accidental' at all and begun to really pull focus on what our key principles are and how we'll map out the future of Pentreath & Hall together. Ben came up with this list of P&H values, which I have to say had me tearing up as I read them. It could not be a more honest and heartfelt set of values to work and live by if it tried and it's time to share them with you.
- We believe in beautifully made products that are inspired by history, and which will stand the test of time.
- We hate the seasonal culture of so much interior decoration, which treats rooms as if they are throw away fashion. The best interiors are forever and evolve gently over time!
- We promote small makers and designers, we believe in made by hand, craft, and in things well made by talented people in factories. And we really believe in made in Britain, wherever possible, both to support our wonderful industrial talent and to reduce unnecessary shipping. Things can often be made cheaper elsewhere – but at what true cost?
- We believe in a fair deal for all our makers and suppliers – often nurturing companies from small beginnings and watching them grow too!
- We believe in the long term. Our wonderful little shop has been at the centre of the London design world for 13 years and counting, and the older we get the more mature our vision, like a good wine or cheese.
- We love our little street, and our shop. For us, the best things in life aren’t virtual.
- We believe in things that are unique. In the world of Pinterest and Instagram, products rush around the world in seconds. That’s why we love to design so many things ourselves, and make them ourselves, because it keeps us happy and keeps our shop special. Designing and commissioning things ourselves has become one of our defining missions.
- We believe that life is fun! It’s easy to feel despondent about a world in which we are surrounded by so many problems that are bigger than one person can ever think of solving. This is all true, but we also take great pleasure in the fun of life – the happiness, the laughter, the beauty and the joy – which can all too easy to forget.
- We’re inspired by so many ideas, so many people – we believe in equality, and above all we believe in love!
As always, Thank you for all of your continued support, we couldn't do it without you.
Create Academy Special 15% off Discount to Pentreath & Hall Customers
Our good friend and neighbour, Gabby Deeming, has teamed up with the clever people at Create Academy to produce a five hour course on 'How to style your home with pattern & colour'. Gabby uses Pentreath & Hall to demonstrate how to have fun with arranging ornaments and objects along a mantlepiece, video below.
To say thank you for the use of the shop, Create Academy has given us the code 'P&H15' to share with you to receive a 15% discount on Gabby's course.
Link to her full course description and trailer is here.
No one knows the world of interiors, fabrics and textiles better than interior stylist and House & Garden’s former Creative Director, Gabby Deeming. An expert when it comes to dressing homes and styling charming vignettes, Gabby shares 20 years worth of interior styling secrets to help you create beautiful rooms full of pattern, texture and story in her first-ever course. Packed full of ideas and inspiration for every budget, Gabby’s practical advice will ensure you bring your own home to life through creative styling - no matter your rental constraints or size of space. You’ll discover how to tackle any styling project; from hanging art and making the most of what you already own and love, to layering colour and textiles and hunting out the best bargains on the high street. Learn how even a few small changes can transform the way your room feels, and develop confidence with your own styling skills to help make any space - new or old - feel like a home.
Watch Create Academy's short film of Gabby in the shop having fun with our products, demonstrating how to arrange an interesting mantlepiece. Pop along to the shop and have a go yourself.
Over the last month or so we've taken delivery of a lot of beautiful new, and old, products at Pentreath & Hall.
A dizzying selection of vintage Bohemian glass in our antique department.
A whole new selection of dinner candles from British Colour Standard, including their bumper packs of 25 candles at very good value.
Special letterpress greeting cards and Risograph prints from Passenger Press. The long awaited return of the striped seagrass baskets.
And of course the unmissable Pentreath & Hall Jubilee tea towel, what's any kind of royal occasion without one of our iconic tea towels to mark it.
We're having a tidy up in the Alphabet Brush Pot department, where you will find discontinued letters at half price.
As an early Easter treat for everyone.
Use the code 'BRUSH20' at the checkout for a 20% discount on not already discounted Alphabet Brush Pots. Offer ends Sunday 10th April.
2nds from £18.00
Pack of 6 - £16.50
POP-UP SHOP - 29th March to 9th April - Sussex Lustreware
Last week we welcomed Gloria and all of her wonderful Sussex Lustreware to our Rugby Street pop-up shop. You'll not see a finer example of modern lustreware anywhere else.
Sussex Lustreware is with us until this Saturday 9th April.
If you're unable to make it to Rugby Street, take a look at their website here.
Keep your eyes peeled for more pop-up shops coming up. We've got a very exciting line-up coming up in 2022.
PENTREATH & HALL EASTER OPENING AND CLOSING HOURS
Over Easter our shop will be closed for the following days:
Good Friday 15th April
Easter Monday 18th April
We will be open on Saturday 16th April and back to business as usual from Tuesday 19th April.
We are open from 11am - 6pm, Tuesday to Saturday.